Enzo Fernández y Moisés Caicedo jugaron durante los 90 minutos en el partido contra el Arsenal.

Avatar de Nikodem Frost

Enzo Fernandez and Moises Caicedo played for the full 90 minutes in the match against Arsenal.

Chelsea failed to capitalize on their home advantage and had to settle for a draw against Arsenal in the ongoing Premier League match held at Stamford Bridge on Saturday (October 21).

The home team initially took a 2-0 lead through a penalty by Cole Palmer and a goal by Mykhailo Mudryk, but The Gunners leveled the match 2-2 by scoring through Declan Rice and Leandro Trossard.

Several things were highlighted in this match, including the decision by The Blues’ coach, Mauricio Pochettino, to field Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez for the full 90 minutes.

As known, both Enzo and Caicedo had just finished representing their respective countries in the qualification for the 2026 World Cup and had only returned to England on Wednesday (October 18). However, three days later, they were already required to play against Arsenal.

Not wanting the public to speculate, somewhat in jest, the Argentine coach revealed that the club’s owner would be disappointed and angry if Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez were not fielded.

«It would be absolutely crazy if players who had just returned from South America on Wednesday were not played in a match held on Saturday,» Pochettino said, as reported by the Evening Standard.

«But if I then think and say, ‘Okay, I won’t play both of them and let them rest.’ Surely all of you will kill me! Maybe the club’s owner too!» the 51-year-old coach joked.

«Yes, Enzo and Caicedo weren’t in the freshest condition after playing two matches on the American continent, but they are still an important part of the team. It’s hard to arrive in a condition like that, I hope both of them can recover quickly and return to their best condition,» he concluded.

The draw against Arsenal leaves Chelsea still in 10th place in the current standings. After this match, they will immediately prepare to face Brentford on Saturday (October 28).

Sjoeke Nusken became the star when Chelsea Women continued their unbeaten start in the Barclays Women’s Super League this season with an entertaining 4-2 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Kingsmeadow on Sunday.

Although we dominated the remainder of the first half and created numerous chances that went unrewarded, our patience and perseverance paid off when Sjoeke Nusken leveled things with a last-minute strike in the first half – her first goal since joining the club this summer.

Nusken completed an impressive individual performance with a second goal, capping our comeback immediately after the break. The German player didn’t stop there, adding a third goal from close range.

The German player provided an assist to Aggie Beever-Jones to add the fourth goal shortly after she entered the game as a substitute. Elisabeth Terland reduced the deficit to 4-2 with a consolation goal in the late minutes for Brighton, but we held on during extra time to secure a third consecutive league win.

There were four changes in the team that started the 2-0 win against West Ham United in the previous WSL match at Kingsmeadow last weekend, but we retained our 3-4-3 formation. Ann-Katrin Berger was in goal, Kadeisha Buchanan was part of the back three, while Eve Perisset occupied the right side, and Sjoeke Nusken partnered with Sophie Ingle in midfield.

Brighton started the match on a very bright afternoon at Kingsmeadow. We began the game convincingly, moving the ball well and almost taking an early lead when Fran Kirby’s long-range shot hit the post. However, it was the away team that broke the deadlock in the 10th minute when Bremer slotted the ball home from close range after receiving a low cross from Katie Robinson.

We had to bounce back after falling behind early in the match and produced a fluid flowing move that almost resulted in an equalizing goal in the 25th minute. Sam Kerr provided the pass to Nusken, who entered the penalty area unmarked and unleashed a shot that was well saved by Sophie Baggaley in the opposition goal.

Working through several attacks to equalize, Millie Bright delivered a beautiful pass that saw Kirby go one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but the English striker was denied by Baggaley in the one-on-one situation. Shortly thereafter, Kirby was once again denied by the post, and a close-range effort saw two attempts cleared off the line as the Seagulls threw everything they had to block our attacks.

In the first half, the Blues finally got the result of our efforts, as we scored the equalizing goal with the last kick of the first half. Jess Carter displayed incredible power on the right side before delivering a perfect cross, which was well met by Nusken to level the score in the first half.

The player changes for the Blues took place at half-time, with Johanna Rytting Kaneryd replacing Buchanan in the second half. The Swedish winger didn’t take long to make an impact when she played a beautiful pass on the right side, cutting inside with her trusted left foot and forcing Baggaley to make a save under her right-hand post.

In the 51st minute, we turned things around and took the lead, with Nusken scoring two goals following a powerful counter-attack. Kirby provided the pass to Rytting Kaneryd, who supplied the ball to Kerr on the right side. The Australian player passed the ball to Nusken, who was unmarked, and she controlled the ball well before unleashing a powerful shot past Baggaley to complete her comeback.

A double player change for the Blues in the 55th minute, with Kirby and Lauren James replaced by Jelena Cankovic and Jessie Fleming. A third goal for the Blues would provide much-needed reinforcement, as Brighton proved capable of causing problems while attacking, with half an hour remaining in an intense game.

The much-needed third goal came with a quarter of an hour left, again from Nusken, who completed an outstanding individual performance with a hat-trick. Her smart run and well-timed positioning inside the penalty area allowed her to meet a cross from the right side and slot the ball into the opponent’s goal to secure the win.

Ingle and Kerr left the field to be replaced by Beever-Jones and Mia Fishel in a double substitution for the Blues with 10 minutes remaining. Nusken provided an assist to Beever-Jones, who confidently scored the fourth goal of the match. Terland scored a consolation goal in the late minutes for the away team as the match ended 4-2, bringing us into the international break with three crucial points.

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *